Effort required

Planning and creating moving image sequences often involves a more elaborate process than producing photos, so the first step should always be to determine whether the desired communication objective justifies the cost and effort. Subtitling or dubbing a film in another language also entails extra effort that should be taken into account in the planning phase.

If you want to create moving images, please get in touch with your designated contact in the company in good time prior to placing an order with external service providers.

PowerPoint presentations (animated)

Market Division P&C
PC-S/Louise Camilleri-Wolter

Market Division L&H
LH-MS Samiera Hamdan-Verwold

Service divisions
CC-IR/Andrea Kulling

"Inhouse systems” such as tt Performance Suite

IT-S/TS Kerstin Grossmann-Brehm

Live action films and graphic animations

Corporate Communications/ICP

Before starting with production of a moving image sequence, you should give some thought to the following:

  • what is the purpose of the film/animation?
  • who are the target group?
  • what is the film/animation being made for, and where will it be used?
  • what are the core messages to be delivered?
  • are there already any ideas as regards length, locations, actors, etc.?

Cultural distinctions

Planning should take into account the countries in which the film is to be used. Depictions of persons, places, objects and symbols should take local cultural conventions into consideration.

All service providers commissioned to produce films and animations under the Hannover Re brand name must be given access to the Online CD Manual before embarking on the conceptual design phase and must be given a briefing to be agreed beforehand with Corporate Communications/ICP. Films and animations are subject to approval by Corporate Communications/ICP before they may be used.

Legal basis

Like in the case of photo productions, the proprietary rights to the materials to be used should be clarified in advance – these vary from country to country. As a general guideline:

  • Material from the Internet (film material, photos and charts/illustrations) may only be freely used if it was published under an open-source or GNU licence. This is usually clearly identified. Ideally, the written consent of the copyright-holder should be obtained.
  • If persons are individually recognisable, a "model release" is required (this does not apply to large, mixed groups of people). This waiver should also be obtained for any staff members depicted.
  • In many public places filming is not allowed without a permit. This must be obtained in writing from the owner of the premises concerned (e.g. city council, private person, business enterprise, public authority, foundation).
  • Only music for which no further licence fees (e.g. GEMA royalties in Germany) are payable should be used. If music that is subject to licence is used, the licence terms must be identified and the rights obtained in advance.

Purchased films and animations

As for photos, there are also video and footage agencies that offer ready-made image sequences and animations for sale. Like in the case of photos, some material may be purchased for unlimited use (no licence fee) and some material may only be used for a certain project and a fixed period of time (subject to a licence fee). Purchased film sequences or animations can – unlike photos – only be edited and adapted to the HR Corporate Design to a very limited extent.

A list of international footage agencies giving details of licensing models and prices is available on request from Corporate Communications/ICP.